[mlpack] Getting Introduced to the Community

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 24 18:10:07 EST 2015

Hi Prakhar,

Unfortunately there aren't any deep learning related issues. I will spend some
time over the weekend to add some simple tasks which might be helpful to get
familiar with the internal neural network architecture.

Since you're familiar with recurrent networks maybe you are interested in adding
bidirectional recurrent networks:

"Bidirectional Recurrent Neural Networks"
http://www.di.ufpe.br/~fnj/RNA/bibliografia/BRNN.pdf <http://www.di.ufpe.br/~fnj/RNA/bibliografia/BRNN.pdf>
This is the first paper, which introduces the idea of building a bidirectional
recurrent network. Maybe you might find it interesting.

Another interesting and simple task could be to implement dropout:

"Dropout: A Simple Way to Prevent Neural Networks from Overfitting"
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~rsalakhu/papers/srivastava14a.pdf <http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~rsalakhu/papers/srivastava14a.pdf>
An interesting technique to tackle overfitting. The key idea is to randomly drop
units during training.

If you'd like we can discuss more on this.