[mlpack] GSoC project idea

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Fri Mar 14 12:07:01 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 12:00:13PM -0400, Andrew Wells wrote:
>     Hi all, I'm Andrew Wells, I am in the process of applying to
> work on mlpack for Google Summer of Code, and I wanted to introduce
> myself.  I'm hoping to work on optimization of the tree traversal
> code in mlpack, as this seems to be the area where I have the most
> previous experience.  I was wondering if you could give me some more
> information about this project.  Also, I think it would be helpful
> for me to first submit another tree, say an R*-tree, to the mlpack
> code base to familiarize myself with it.  Am I free to combine
> project proposals like that?  Thanks for your time and I hope to
> work with you over the summer.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the introduction.

Feel free to submit another tree if you like (or propose to implement
one) but do be aware that they should implement the same interface that
mlpack trees implement; you can take a look at
src/mlpack/core/tree/example_tree.hpp for an example.

Can I inquire more about your previous experience with optimizing tree
traversals?

Ryan Curtin    | "You can think about it... but don't do it."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Sheriff Justice