[mlpack] GSoC 2014

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Sun Mar 2 20:59:44 EST 2014

On Sat, Mar 01, 2014 at 05:31:56PM +0530, shubham goswami wrote:
> Hi
> I am Shubham Goswami, a second year UG student at Delhi Technological
> University. I am interested in the "implement tree types" project. Could
> you please direct me to the documentations that could provide an idea about
> the project.

Hi Shubham,

If you have already gone through the mlpack tutorials and are familiar
with mlpack, then you might consult the example tree type found in
src/mlpack/core/tree/example_tree.hpp (this is the API which all mlpack
trees must implement), and the following mailing list post may also be
helpful:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-February/000265.html

There are lots of possible tree types to implement: R trees, vp-trees,
principal axis trees, random projection trees, spill trees, k-means
trees... the list goes on and on.  The project would basically entail
taking a handful of tree types from the list of possible trees and
implementing them in accordance with the mlpack tree API and also
implementing tests to ensure they work right, then making sure that they
work with existing mlpack dual-tree algorithms (and maybe some
performance comparisons too; depending on the comparisons, it may
actually end up being publishable research).

Let me know if I can clarify further.

Ryan Curtin    | "Kill them, Machine... kill them all."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Dino Velvet