[mlpack] [GSOC'14] Adaboost Implementation in mlpack

Rohit Girdhar rohit.iiith at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 09:10:52 EST 2014

Hello all!

I'm Rohit Girdhar, a senior year undergrad at IIIT Hyderabad, India. I am
interested in working on mlpack over the summer through GSoC.

I'm especially interested in the Adaboost implementation project.
As a research student in computer vision, I
implemented<https://github.com/rohitgirdhar/HumanDetection>a paper on
Human Detection by Zhu, Avidan et. al. in CVPR'06 (
here <http://lear.inrialpes.fr/people/triggs/student/vj/zhu-cvpr06.pdf>'s a
link). This is essentially an improvement over the famous human detection
paper by Dalal and Triggs in CVPR'05
(here<http://lear.inrialpes.fr/people/triggs/pubs/Dalal-cvpr05.pdf>),
using ideas from the famous Viola Jones Face Detection paper
(here<https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~efros/courses/LBMV07/Papers/viola-cvpr-01.pdf>
).

The Zhu, Avidan paper uses the learning framework from Viola Jones, i.e.
the Adaboost learning algorithm, with SVM as the weak classifier. The
adaboost part of my implementation is
here<https://github.com/rohitgirdhar/HumanDetection/blob/master/training/StrongClassifier.m>.
I'd love to have the implementation of this standard algorithm in mlpack!

I was looking through the archives and saw Udit and MingJun are already
working on this. I was wondering if I could also jump in on this project?
I've already checked-out, built and played a bit with the source.

Thanks!
--
*rohit*