[mlpack] Gsoc 2014, Implement Tree Types: Introduction

Yash Vadalia yashdv at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 10:01:42 EDT 2014

Hello,

I am Yash Vadalia, a senior year undergraduate at IIIT-Hyderabad. I am
interested in contributing to mlpack through the "Implement Tree Types"
project. I am comfortable with C++ and I think I can do my best in this
project.

The idea's page links to some of the associated tickets. I went through the
source code have submitted a patch for ticket #235 (hoping for some
feedback :-) http://www.mlpack.org/trac/ticket/235 ).

The page also lists a good number of tree types. Is there some minimum
number of types that need to be implemented for it to be considered as a
good gsoc project ? I was thinking of implementing a subset of them and
then writing tests to ensure that they work as desired.

Currently, I am examining the src/mlpack/core/tree/binary_space_tree
directory to get more familiar with the relevant part of the code base. Is
there some literature too that you would probably recommend me to read up,
so that it helps me write my proposal ?

Could you please give some pointers on the expected content of the proposal
?

I would be glad to hear any other advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

Yash