[mlpack] GOSC 2014 idea of AdaBoost implementation(MingJun Liu)

Mj Liu noodleslik at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 20:56:09 EST 2014

Hi all,
    I'm from University of Science and Techonology of China, and working as
a intern student at Chinese Academy of Sciences now. My major is software
engineering. I would like to join in the GSOC project and apply for the
AdaBoosting part. Though I am new here, I am very interest in the project
of MLPACK.
    Udit Saxena provided several good suggestions about the weak learners
in the mail list for the AdaBoost project. I also have several questions
about how the AdaBoost can be integrated into the mlpack prject, and what
kind of APIs shall be provide to the users. And I think several problems
shall be talked settled before begin to work on the project:
    - What shall the archetecture(API) be? How can the users call the
method of AdaBoost? May the users can define their own learner method and
call like: AdaBoost(data,  function learner()), or by AdaBoost(data,
function inner-learner())?
    - And how to control the steps of iteration, or the precision of error,
or initialization of  the user defined learners? May the users just set one
of MAX_ITERATION_STEP or PRECISION_ERROR , and the mlpack provide default
of both.
    - As to the weak learners, I think the Linear Perceptron(LP), Multi-LP,
shall be included. Because users may need these to build their new
algorithms.
    - Since there are so many variants of AdaBoost [
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~stan/csi5387/boost-tut-ppr.pdf] [
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~stan/csi5387/boost-tut-ppr.pdf] [
http://colt2008.cs.helsinki.fi/papers/26-Shwartz.pdf], experiments shall be
implemented to test which shall be kept in MLPACK project.

     Thanks for reading, and discusions are welcome~:)
      I would like to join development the MLPACK, maybe start from the
turorial part is good. And I hope I can help and get more
suggestions.Thanks again!