[mlpack] Willing to join mlpack community

Ankit Shah shahankit2313 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 15:07:44 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Ryan Curtin <gth671b at mail.gatech.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:00:34AM +0530, Ankit Shah wrote:
> > I want to work for mlpack. I'm a third year undergraduate and have taken
> an
> > elementary course on machine learning a month ago online on
> > coursera<http://www.coursera.com>.
> > I'm very fond of open source and would love to contribute to same. I read
> > the ideas page linked on the google-melange mlpack page. I'm very
> familiar
> > and used to with C and C++. I've also some basic knowledge of Python as
> > I've taken a course on Introduction to Python. Also I use Ubuntu as my
> > primary OS and hence would also feel free to work on the debian packaging
> > problem.
> >
> > Please suggest what all do I need to learn or read so as to start
> > contributing to the open source community of mlpack. As an amateur and as
> > per your free slots what project form the idea's page should I work on ?
>
> Hello Ankit,
>
> Thanks for getting in touch.  If you are interested in the Debian
> packaging process, you should read the Debian New Maintainers' Guide:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
>
> The process for becoming a Debian maintainer, to my knowledge, involves
> doing some reviews for other packages, finding a mentor, and then
> finally once that is done mlpack can be submitted and reviews by other
> Debian maintainers and developers.
>
> If that doesn't interest you, I am planning on doing it when I have some
> time, but I have not yet found the time.
>
> Three of the projects on the ideas list were selected for this year's
> Google Summer of Code: the automatic bindings project, the automatic
> benchmarks project, and the collaborative filtering project.  So any of
> the other projects on that list, if they interest you, you can jump in
> on and I will try to help where I can.
>
> As for getting started with mlpack, the tutorials page should provide
> some useful documentation on getting comfortable with the library, using
> the command-line executables, and understanding the code:
>
> http://www.mlpack.org/tutorial.html
>
> Let me know if I can help out further.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan Curtin       | "Open the pig!"
> ryan at igglybob.com |   - Frank Moses

Thank you Ryan for replying. I would try my hands on Debian packaging. If
went to the link you mentioned. I'll read through the entire documentation
as mentioned in the table of contents.

I didn't understood what to regarding this line that you said "The process
for becoming a Debian maintainer, to my knowledge, involves doing some
reviews for other packages, finding a mentor, and then finally once that is
done mlpack can be submitted and reviews by other Debian maintainers and
developers." Where can I do or rather find the mentor. Is it included in
the documentation link (I've just started reading it and is bit lengthy)?
Please fell free to reply me regarding this whenever you have time.

--
Ankit Shah