[mlpack] Applying for GSoC 2013

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 26 14:17:43 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:25:24AM +0800, Purplemint wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    This is Siwei Wang from Shanghai, China, currently pursuing a
> (dual)Master degree in ECE from both Georgia Tech and Shanghai JiaoTong
> University. I am familiar with C/C++, MATLAB, C#, etc., and have
> participated in projects that develop debugger(such as gdb) and embedded
> control systems. Although machine learning is relatively new to me, I am
> particularly interested in it and find it full of potential. It would be a
> great pleasure if I am able to contribute to the open source community of
> machine learning. I will be studying in Atlanta in Spring 2014, by then I
> think I will be more familiar with machine learning, and able to contribute
> more to the project.
>
>    Since I am not experienced in machine learning, I hope that a project
> such as "refinement of matlab bindings" can help me get familiar to common
> ML methods and as well as contribute what I can to the project. However I
> have seen that quite a number of people have shown interest in that project,
> so I wonder if mlpack interface for other programming platforms (such as
> .NET C#) are on the roadmap?

Hello Siwei,

Here are some links to other discussions about the MATLAB bindings (or
Python and R bindings which are very similar):

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000065.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000066.html

There is another project, the automatic bindings project (see
http://www.mlpack.org/trac/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Automaticbindings for
more information) which may be more useful.  If there is an automatic
binding generator, then one only needs to write a backend which can turn
our interfaces into C# (or whatever other language) to be able to
support that language.  So maybe that would be more interesting to you.

Ryan Curtin       | "Are those... live rounds?"
ryan at igglybob.com | "Seven-six-two millimeter.  Full metal jacket."