[mlpack] Gsoc 2013,ML Project Idea Query

satya pradeep deepu at iitk.ac.in
Wed Apr 10 16:16:02 EDT 2013

Hello,

I am Pradeep , currently studying in pre-final year B.Tech in Electrical
engineering  from Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur(IITK),with research
interests in Image Processing & pattern recognition, Machine Learning and
Artificial Intelligence programming.Also, I'm new to this world of open
source although I've been using Ubuntu & various other Open Sourced
software for past 3-4 years, I had no idea that it was such a huge thing. As
I was going through GSoc 2013 ideas list, the following project idea really
struck me:

1.collaborative filtering package

2.fixes to mvu and low-rank semidefinite programs

 I have implemented projects based on Machine learning and Pattern
recognition, problems like "Identification of digits from handwritten
numerals" in MATLAB using learning methods like Manifold model,generative
model and KNN classifier,a purely discriminative model to classify 60,000
images of MNIST dataset.I have uploaded a crude demo on my homepage at,
http://home.iitk.ac.in/~deepu/cs365/hw1/
and "Manifold Motion Planning to map a robot's arm motion", - used Isomap
for dimensionality reduction in the control space.
http://home.iitk.ac.in/~deepu/cs365/hw3/
I am familiar with programming languages Java,C,C++,Python.I have done
basic data structure course and also an advanced artificial intelligence
and Machine learning courses.As I am new to this library, I'm
researching/googling
everything I can find on the web about it. Also, any help from your side
regarding the project or a starting point will be great.

I like the second project "fixes to mvu and low-rank semidefinite
programs" more
than the first , since its relation to dimensionality reduction techniques
which i have had experience with.but am little skeptical if it would be
very difficult to approach.It would be great if you could provide some more
information or a starting point about both these projects.

Speaking of commitments,I will be able to provide around 8-10 hours of work
every day. If more time is needed I'm always ready to cough up some extra
work-hours.

I've arranged for a unlimited Internet connection, and I'll always be
online on the IRC channels. Therefore, a mentor's presence virtually will
be of no hindrance. We will be able to communicate via mails, IRC,
mailing-lists.
Yes, I'm comfortable in English.

--
Thanks and Regards