[mlpack] GSoC-2021

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 29 08:26:04 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 04:17:35PM +0530, Gopi Manohar Tatiraju wrote:
> Would love to hear your thoughts on whether to go with an already
> implemented parser or build a new one. Also if we are planning to build a
> data frame here then
> maybe going with an in-house parser would be better as we will have the
> ability to design it in such a way that it can extend maximum support to
> the new data frame
> which we are planning to build ahead.

Hey Gopi,

Honestly I think it's best to use another package.  Not only will this
free up time to actually work on the dataframe class, but also it means
we are not responsible for maintenance of the CSV parser.  There are
lots of little complexities and edge cases in parsing (not to mention
efficiency!) and so we can probably get a lot more bang for our buck
here by using an implementation from someone who has already put down
the time to consider all those details.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Ryan Curtin    | "Kill them, Machine... kill them all."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Dino Velvet