[mlpack] GSoC '21

CED18I048 SHAH ANWAAR KHALID ced18i048 at iiitdm.ac.in
Mon Mar 15 20:29:12 EDT 2021

Hello Marcus,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry for the late response, I was a little
caught up with my college exams.

I’ve already started working on the Dual Optimizer PR and hope to finish it
before GSoC. I got it to work for Standard GAN and DCGAN. I’ve opened a PR.
For the summer, I’d like to take up CycleGAN PR and implement StyleGAN.

I went through the PR for CycleGANs and as per my understanding, I have
made the following TODO’s list:

   1.

   The class has been implemented with an older mlpack version. A lot of
   refactoring of the ANN code has been done since then.
   1.

      Implement ResetData() function.
      2.

      Remove boost variant..
      3.

      Implement Dual Optimizer train function.
      4.

      Testing.

Style GAN consists of the following components:

   1.

   Noise Mapping Network and Progressive Growing Generator.
   2.

   Adaptive Instance Normalization.
   3.

   Discriminator Network.

I'll write a detailed explanation of each component in the proposal. Please
let me know what implementation details I should include.

Tentative Timeline:

   1.

   Before GSoC:
   1.

       Finish Dual Optimizer.
      2.

   May 17 - June 7 : Community Bonding Period
   1.

      Get more familiar with StyleGAN and CycleGAN.
      2.

      Look at the official implementation in pytorch and tensorflow.
      3.

   June 7 : Coding Period:
   1.

      Week 1 - 2
      1.

         I’m thinking of spending the first two weeks on finishing CycleGAN
         PR.
         2.

      Week 3-4:
      1.

         Implement Instance Normalization.
         2.

         Write tests..
         3.

      Week 5-8:
      1.

         Implement Generator and Discriminator Network.
         2.

         Write tests.
         4.

      Week 8- 10:
      1.

         I’m thinking of keeping this as a buffer to finish any pending
         work.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Anwaar