[mlpack] GSoC'20

Yihan Wang wangyihan617 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:13:04 EDT 2020

Hi Marcus,

I have got familiar with the code base and the listed papers. And I think
these are the modifications we should add to the original CMA-ES.
* ACM-ES
We can add a surrogate model into the original algorithm. We check whether
the model is given during the iteration, and call it if so.
* IPOP-CMA-ES
The key idea is to restart the algorithm with a larger population when
terminated.
* Active-CMA-ES
The key idea is to introduce new update functions to variance matrix and
other parameters. And I think we can extract the update functions in the
main algorithm as separated functions which can be overwritten in derived
classes.

Here are steps that I think we need to do:
Phase #1
1. making initialization, iteration and update rules separated functions.
2. implement IPOP-CMA-ES, which will be easier on basis of step #1.
3. test and test preparation for the other two algorithms
4. documentation

Phase #2
1. implement Active-CMA-ES
2. test and documentation

Phase #3
1. implement ACM-ES
2. test and documentation

Please let me know if there is any suggestion on the plan.

Thanks,
Yihan

Marcus Edel <marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de> 于2020年3月9日周一 上午7:08写道: