[mlpack] (no subject)

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 16 10:03:00 EDT 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 12:38:09PM +0530, Aman Pandey wrote:
> Hey Ryan/Marcus,
> Are there any current coordinates to start with, in "Profiling for
> Parallelization"?
> I want to know if any, to avoid any redundant work.

Hey Aman,

I don't think that there are any particular directions.  You could
consider looking at previous messages from previous years in the mailing
list archives (this project has been proposed in the past and there has
been some discussion).  My suggestion would be to find some algorithms
that you think could be useful to parallelize, and spend some time
thinking about the right way to do that with OpenMP.  The "profiling"
part may come in useful here, as when you put your proposal together it
could be useful to find algorithms that have bottlenecks that could be
easily resolved with parallelism.  (Note that not all algorithms have
bottlenecks that can be solved with parallelism, and algorithms heavy on
linear algebra may already be effectively parallelized via the use of
OpenBLAS at a lower level.)

Ryan Curtin    | "I was misinformed."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Rick Blaine