[mlpack] Regarding GSOC Project for Idea: ANN Algorithms Implemented in mlpack

Prince Gupta princemit776 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:50:08 EDT 2020

Hello Marcus,

Thanks for the suggestions.
As you've suggested I would focus on only one of the ideas, that will be
Neural Style Transfer.

The main goal will be to add Neural Style Transfer to MLPack in a
well-designed and documented way such that users who wish to expand upon it
by coding further and those who wish to just use it by using CLI can both
use it.

Since GSOC is divided into three phases I will divide my work into three
phases.

Phase 1:
1) Adding the VGG model.
2) Getting it trained on the ImageNet dataset, or successfully transferring
pre-trained weights to it. A little image recognition testing will be done
to make sure the model has learned good enough parameters.

Since there is already a PR open for VGG and Kartik Dutt is already working
on restructuring the models' repository, this should be easier than other
tasks. I'll probably have exams around this time so it'll work out well.

Phase 2:
1)Implementing Neural Style Transfer. I would like to implement it like a
neatly defined API which is easy to use. Adding it as a CLI program and an
importable library is what I'll aim for.

After VGG will be added MLPack has almost everything required to implement
this algorithm. I will need to define some custom loss but MLPack has is
already covered.

Phase 3:
1) In this phase I will document the API created in the parts it's lacking.
I will also do some more testing and add tutorials for it.
Testing will include using other models like inception and AlexNet to give
outputs and compare the visual quality of different models and visualizing
"content" and "style" of images as per the NN.

I think I'll have enough time to complete all of this, so any other small
details that are required to make this as refined as possible will be
worked upon within the GSOC period itself.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Prince Gupta