[mlpack] Regarding GSOC Proposal for ANN Algorithms Implemented in mlpack

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 9 17:13:56 EDT 2020

Hello Kartik,

I think I said this before, but welcome and thanks for all the contribution.

> I would love to dicuss the design related aspect in more detail as I am really
> excited about this project. Also is this the right approach to a GSOC proposal
> or Open Source in general?

I can't really speak about other projects but we like to discuss ideas on public
channels, so this is totally the right approach.

About the project or projects, I like the ideas: YOLOv3 and Feature Pyramid
Network. However, I think going for both might be too ambitious for the Summer,
I'd rather have a single model that we can merge in during the summer than two
models that can't be merged because we run out of time. So I would probably
focus on a single model instead. That said, why not include some of the tasks:

1. IoU metric for object localization.
2. Upsampling layer (I will hopefully open a PR for the same by Sunday).
3. Depthwise seperable Convolution (I have opened a PR for this, currently working on fixing some bugs).
4. AlexNet (I have to put it on training this week).

into a GSoC project, you would need some of the features anyway, so why not
include them into the project itself. Also, we can always include more if there
is some time at the end, but we should make it clear what the focus is. Let me
know what you think.