[mlpack] Interested to volunteer as mentor

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 9 09:55:03 EDT 2020

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 08:21:34AM +0530, punit vara wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am Punit. I  was GSoC 2016 student for RTEMS org and have been mentor for
> same organization for 2017 and 2018. I have been work at Intel as Machine
> Learning Engineer and have extensive experience contributing open source
> projects as well as mentoring. Since last years  I have also been
> freelancing for data science and machine learning projects. I would love to
> volunteer as mentor in mlpack organization. Some of the projects I am
> preferably interested to mentor are Reinforcement learning, Essential Deep
> Learning models. I can also help out with  “mlpack on RPi and other
> resource-constrained devices” as having background in embedded systems and
> ML but have only minimal related experience contributing to
> Edge-ML(Microsoft project).
>
> Please let me know if I am eligible and can mentor any project even if not
> in above preferable list.

Hey Punit,

Thanks for getting in touch.  In general we try to select mentors who
have already been a part of the community for a long time.  However, I
think it would be fine for someone new to the community to be a
co-mentor, if any mentors are interested.

The embedded systems bit sounds exciting to me, but so far there hasn't
been too much student interest in the project.  Perhaps that 5.25"
floppy on my desk with the mlpack sticker on it will remain blank for
another year. :)

I hope this is helpful---please do feel free to start poking around on
Github, helping review PRs, contribute, etc., whatever you like.

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "I like fish sticks."
ryan at ratml.org |  - Benny