[mlpack] Regarding GSOC Project for Idea: ANN Algorithms Implemented in mlpack

Prince Gupta princemit776 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 04:49:48 EDT 2020

Hello everyone
I am Prince Gupta, currently a 1st year Engineering student from India.
I've been getting familiar with MLPack codebase, especially ANN and made
some PRs since February 2020. I wanted to get some opinions on the GSOC
project I've decided on.
I apologize in advance if this email gets too long.

Earlier I discussed with @zoq about implementing YOLO for GSOC project
but @kartikdutt18 was already working on it, so I decided to change my
project idea as two people working on same thing will be redundant.

For GSOC I would like to implement the following two applications of ANN:
1) Neural Style Transfer
2) Face Recognition

To work on them I would also need to implement the following prerequisites
which I hope to implement before the GSOC period starts:
1) VGG-19 Model for Neural Style Transfer
2) Triplet Margin Loss for Face Recognition(I've opened a PR on it already
#2208)
3) Inception Network for Face Recognition
If training is out of scope I'll try to use pre-trained weights.

I would love to hear opinions on my project idea, is this sufficient? is
this too much? other things I should consider or anything else.

Project: Application of ANN Algorithms Implemented in mlpack
Mentors: Marcus Edel, Sumedh Ghaisas, Shikhar Jaiswal, Saksham Bansal

Thanks
Prince Gupta
Github ID: prince776