[mlpack] Follow-up: compilation / linking issue "undefined reference"

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Tue Sep 10 21:25:47 EDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 04:18:16AM +0000, Hearn, David J. wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> In case this is of use, I ended up removing my new boost installation,
> reinstalling an older boost (using yum), switching to an older gcc
> (4.8.5), and using the following cmake:
>
>  cmake ../ -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/software/mlpack
>  -DUSE_OPENMP=OFF
>  -DARMADILLO_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/software/armadillo-9.600.6/include/
>  -DARMADILLO_LIBRARY=/usr/local/software/armadillo-9.600.6/lib64/libarmadillo.so
>  -DBUILD_PYTHON_BINDINGS=OFF -DBoost_NO_BOOST_CMAKE=1
>  -DBUILD_TESTS=OFF

This seems like a reasonable configuration step to get things working
right, given that Armadillo is in /usr/local/software/ and not in the
default search path.

> No matter what I tried, gcc 9.2 would not finish the compilation.

Hmm, can you provide the error message?  Also, was this the git master
branch or the latest release (3.1.2)?

> The reuters_example.cpp would not compile unless I commented out:
>
> CLI::ParseCommandLine(argc, argv);

Where did you find these examples?  If the docs are out of date I can
take a minute and update them, but I don't know about the Reuters
example.

> Now the mlpack-examples seem to compile and run without a core dump,
> so this is definite progress, although the output from knn_example
> appears to be different from the provided "expected" output.

I'm a bit confused too on this one---where is the 'expected' output for
the KNN example?  When I read this page:
http://mlpack.org/doc/mlpack-3.1.1/doxygen/sample.html
it doesn't specify particular expected output.

> Many thanks again! I think I'm to a place where I can begin using
> mlpack.

Great! :)

Ryan Curtin    | "He's a peculiar man.  You could even say that he
ryan at ratml.org | has principles."  - Carson Wells