[mlpack] Google Summer of Code 2019 wrap-up

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Fri Sep 6 12:41:15 EDT 2019

Hello there everyone,

The results of GSoC 2019 are announced and I'm happy to report that all
of our students this year passed.  Congratulations to them!  Here is the
list of projects and students again:

  SangYeon Kim: "Quantum Gaussian Mixture Models"
  Toshal Agrawal: "Implementing Essential Deep Learning Modules"
  Saksham Bansal: "Implementing Essential Deep Learning Modules"
  Mehul Kumar Nirala: "Application of ANN Algorithms Implemented in
      mlpack"
  Jeffin Sam: "String Processing Utilities"
  Roberto Hueso Gomez: "Advanced Kernel Density Estimation Improvements"
  Sreenik Seal: "mlpack-Tensorflow Translator"
  Rahul Ganesh Prabhu: "NeuroEvolution of Augmenting Topologies &
      Multi-Objective Optimization"
  Xiaohong Ji: "PPO (Proximal Policy Optimization)"
  Suryoday Basak: "Particle Swarm Optimization"

More information can be found here:

  https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/5868789747417088/

Thank you to each of the students and all the mentors who were involved
in making this summer a success.  Through all of the hard work, we've
implemented lots of improvements to mlpack, and much of this support has
already been merged.  In the next months, I am sure we will merge the
rest of the support as small details and PR comments get worked out.

I hope that everyone had a great experience this summer, and that we can
do it again in the future. :)

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "Happy premise #2: There is no giant foot trying
ryan at ratml.org | to squash me." - Kit Ramsey