[mlpack] mlpack accepted to NumFOCUS

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Oct 28 21:56:18 EDT 2019

Hello everyone!

I have good news.  mlpack has been accepted to NumFOCUS as a sponsored
project!

It took a long time for this to happen after we agreed on the idea some
months ago, but I'm really happy that it has worked out.  This means a
few effective changes:

 * NumFOCUS will manage any money for mlpack.  Previously I just had a
   text file and a bit of funds in a bank account.  We'll transfer that
   to NumFOCUS (I need to compute the exact amount but I believe it is
   around $1000 USD).

 * mlpack will be advertised on NumFOCUS's website (and we'll have to
   update ours to point out we are a part of NumFOCUS).

 * We'll need to have a developed set of governance guidelines (this is
   a NumFOCUS requirement).  After some off-list discussions I've opened
   a PR here for discussion by everyone:

   https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/2068

   Please feel free to add any comments, if you like.

 * We'll need to maintain a "NumFOCUS leadership team".  There's not
   much special about that team (see the governance document) but
   NumFOCUS needs some people it can get in touch with.  For now I think
   it's just fine to go with the 5 people who signed the NumFOCUS
   agreements and applications (me, Marcus, Shikhar J., Mikhail, and
   Sumedh).

 * NumFOCUS may be able to help us sponsor in-person hackathons and
   collaborations with other NumFOCUS projects.

 * Nothing changes about development process or anything like that---we
   are still community-led, and we still get to choose how we develop
   the library.

Anyway, I'm excited about this, and I think it'll be a nice improvement.
Let me know if there's anything I can clarify about it. :)

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "In honor of the last American hero, to whom speed
ryan at ratml.org | means freedom of the soul."  - Super Soul