[mlpack] mlpack weekly video meet-up/meeting time survey

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Thu Nov 21 14:18:53 EST 2019

Hey, thanks to everyone who showed up!  I think that was nice.  We
thought that it would be nice if I wrote up a summary of the things we
talked about.  Here are a few bullet points (let me know if I forgot
anything... I think I might have):

 - We should do another release, and just do them more often in general,
   instead of waiting on everything for a milestone to be done.  So,
   I'll release 3.2.2.  I think that we can finish #1985 and #1933
   before I do that.  After that release happens, I'll merge the Julia
   bindings, meaning the following release will be 3.3.0.

 - The new website prototype is running at https://mlpack2.ratml.org/,
   and an open PR is at https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack.org/pull/9.

 - We agreed that it could be really nice to provide some better
   introductory documentation.  This might include redoing or changing
   the models/ repository, or maybe developing notebook examples (in
   Python or in C++).

 - I think it's time to update the website to point out that we have
   Gitter/Matrix/IRC all integrated, but, I was going to log in to
   Matrix to check that everything is working and that didn't seem to
   work... so maybe a little longer on that one.

 - We discussed and opened
   https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2091.
   (I'll probably take care of this tonight, I think it's easy.)

 - We talked about making the changelog more readily visible from the
   website.

Really great to see everyone.  I think that we should do this again in a
couple weeks---I'll take a look at the poll results and figure out what
good times are.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 09:09:50AM -0500, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> Hey there everyone,
>
> Just a reminder, if you're interested in participating in the mlpack
> video meet-up (details below), it's today (four hours from now). :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ryan
>
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 03:37:36PM -0500, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > As discussed in the NumFOCUS summit thread (quoted below), I think it's
> > a good idea to try the weekly informal meeting, but we need to find out
> > times that work for everyone.  Since we're all globally scattered,
> > probably we should switch up the times.  So I set up this Google Forms
> > survey to see what works for different people:
> >
> > https://forms.gle/vzZEmcKs3giL9eiH9
> >
> > If you are interested in participating and want to fill out that
> > document, that can help us find a good time.
> >
> > While we wait for the survey responses to come in, we can have the first
> > "video meetup" on Thursday, Nov 21, at 1800 UTC (to do a little time
> > zone mapping, that's 10am PST, 1pm EST, 7pm CET, 11:30pm IST, and 3:00am
> > KST).  Sorry if that doesn't work perfect for everyone (I think this
> > will be especially bad for SangYeon unfortunately), but we'll have to
> > try different times now and then.
> >
> > The meetup is informal: we don't have a specific agenda.  We can all
> > just show up to the zoom room below and talk about things that are on
> > our minds (which actually doesn't even need to be mlpack-related,
> > technically):
> >
> > https://zoom.us/j/3820896170
> >
> > Some topics we might end up discussing could include:
> >
> >  - how our days are going :)
> >  - discussion of PRs to be merged before a release
> >  - help debugging some issues
> >  - discussion of general development directions
> >  - interactive PR reviews?
> >
> > Anyway, I don't want to focus too much on an agenda, because the idea is
> > that it's freeform.  In fact, if some others wanted to put on meetups at
> > certain times, it would definitely be okay for us to have more than one!
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 07:56:34PM +0100, Marcus Edel wrote:
> > > About the informal weekly meeting, should we schedule something, maybe for the end of the week?

> > --
> > Ryan Curtin    | "Hungry."
> > ryan at ratml.org |   - Sphinx

> Ryan Curtin    | "Do I sound like I'm ordering a pizza?"
> ryan at ratml.org |   - John McClane

Ryan Curtin    | "A present for my friends... at Thanksgiving."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Bruce