[mlpack] GSoc 2019 - mlpack : evolutionary algortihm project proposal idea discussion

Naman Gupta namangupta0227 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 15:58:43 EDT 2019

Hi Marcus,

First of all, thank you for your quick response. In my previous email, I
mentioned all the algorithms I have implemented in my research work. They
all perform well as feature selection methods (filter and wrapper both)
when compared to the traditional Grid search and Random Search algorithms.
As per your suggestion, I would like to point out that out of them, *Grey
wolf algorithm*, *Crow Search* and *Whale Optimization algorithm* perform
significantly well on a number of datasets. I have tested their performance
on a number of datasets as follows:
1. Parkinson's Dataset
     a) Audio dataset
     b) Image dataset
     c) Text dataset
2. Thyroid dataset
3. Medical images
     a) CT scan images
     b) Microscopic images
     c) MRI scans
4. Protein structure dataset
5. White Blood Cells images dataset

*All these datasets have high dimensionality. Some of them have both small
instance set + high dimensionality which is a great challenge in machine
learning and has not been addressed effectively.

According to a comprehensive survey by my lab and the aforementioned
implementations, these 3 algorithms are most suitable for feature selection
methods. In the last few years, bio-inspired optimization algorithms are
recognized in machine learning to address the optimal solutions for complex
problems in science and engineering. One of such problem: "High
dimensionality problem" which in turn requires high computational time and
affects the classification accuracy due to noisy features, redundant
etc. Feature
selection reduces the dimensionality of the data by eliminating features
which are noisy, redundant, and irrelevant for a classification problem. It
is most often a challenge for the researchers due to its computational
complexity.
So, I would like to model and implement these 3 algorithms as feature
selection methods (filter based and wrapper-based both) in mlpack this
year. The users will be able to modify the algorithm and will be able to
define their own fitness functions and many more features.

Please let me know what you think.

Naman Gupta