[mlpack] Greetings GSOC 19 : Idea Reinforcement Learning

Rohan Raj rajrohan1108 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 18:01:55 EST 2019

Hello Ryan, Marcus and fellow contributors of MLPACK,

I am Rohan Raj (Github : mirraaj) <https://github.com/mirraaj>,
undergraduate student from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati. I
am writing this email to you to express my interests in becoming a part of
*MLPACK* for the coming *Google Summer of Codes 2019.*

I sincerely congratulate Mlpack for being accepted as a mentor organization
for the coming Google Summer of Codes 2019. I am interested in
reinforcement learning project for the coming year. In particular, I plan
to implement Rainbow and PPO for the coming coding season.

My tentative schedule is present below,

Week 1-6 : Implement different Rainbow DQN functions

Week 6-10 : PPO Algorithm

Week 11-12  Bug fixing and final submission.

I believe it is really important to test any function/feature added to the
mlpack codebase. I have been working on RL and Mlpack for quite a long time
and I personally think it is difficult to reproduce result sometimes. It is
also a time taking procedure to stabilize statistical test results on
mlpack codebase. Hence I would like to go ahead with 2 algorithms so that I
get proper time to test the algorithms on different environments.

Please let me know your valuable inputs to this short proposal. I will
definitely add the details of the project in my actual proposal.

Thanks,

Rohan Raj
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Assam , India