[mlpack] Greetings and selecting a first issue

Sunanda Gamage rcsunanda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:31:19 EST 2019

Hello everyone,

My name is Sunanda and I'm a PhD student at Western University, Canada. My
research is on using machine learning methods for network traffic analysis
(detecting intrusions/ other events). Before grad school, I was a developer
for 3 years writing back-ends of stock exchange systems in C++. Writing
elegant and performant C++ code is something I love, and I can see that
mlpack is a code base full of such code.

I'd like to be a contributor to this project, and I have read the pages on
getting involved, gsoc, GSoC Ideas and Design Guidelines. I've also
compiled and run some example code and gone through some of the API
documentation.

I was going to get started with a "good first issue", but many have been
taken up by developers who have not commented on them in a few months. Is
it OK if I work on one if these and try to open a pull request? I was
thinking issue #1152: the fastmks test.

Best Regards
Sunanda