[mlpack] GSOC: Change of language for automated binding generator

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon May 21 11:10:28 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 03:05:23PM -0400, Yasmine Dumouchel wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have changed the language of my project which was to create an
> automated binding generator for Java users to use mlpack. I will now
> be implementing a binding generator but for Go users.
>
> This will most probably done using cgo, which enables to
> interoperation with C and C++ libraries
> (https://blog.golang.org/c-go-cgo <https://blog.golang.org/c-go-cgo>).
> As for matrices, we could use the Go gonum matrix. A  gonum matrix
> would than be converted into an armadillo matrix and vice versa by
> creating utility functions.
>
> If anyone else has any experience in using Go and cgo or any comments
> and inputs that can be useful let me know!

The change is fine with me, and I think that mlpack could compare
favorably with the (seemingly standard) GoLearn library.

I'm hoping that I can find some time to do the Java bindings, and then
we can have both. :)

--
Ryan Curtin    | "Bye-bye, goofy woman.  I enjoyed repeatedly
ryan at ratml.org | throwing you to the ground." - Ben Jabituya