[mlpack] Fwd: GSoC Project: LMNN (via LRSDP) & BoostMetric Implementation

Manish Kumar manish887kr at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:30:37 EDT 2018

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for looking into this.

Here is the link <https://code.google.com/archive/p/boosting/downloads> to
original matlab implementation, I have compared with.The above idea
suggested by you is similar to what BoostMetric's authors had implemented.
Comparing with it, I saw that single pass KNN is slightly slower than
multipass on lower value of k (though I haven't check on large datasets,
which could be a game changer. I will check this on a large dataset),
whereas on large values of k (say k=20), single pass KNN outperforms
multipass one significantly( even on 125 points multipass has a running
time of over 5 secs).

One more thing, that I think is worth disscussing about, is the number of
constraints. From Boostmetric's implementation we will always be getting k
* k * N number of constraints, whereas by restricting the impostors
constrained within the boundary of kth targetNeighbor, we can reduce
constraints by some amount. Let me know, what you think.

Thank you,
Manish