[mlpack] [GSOC query] Regarding the project "Alternatives to neighborhood-based collaborative filtering"

yogesh sharma yogesh.sharmaakaruler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 21:35:36 EDT 2018

Hi,

My name is Yogesh Sharma. I am a 3rd-year student pursuing a dual degree in
Computer science with masters in Robotics from IIIT Hyderabad, India.

I have been looking at all the ideas specified in the wiki from past few
days. I find implementing "Alternatives to neighborhood-based collaborative
filtering" a good learning opportunity.

I have done GSoC last year under Oppia <https://github.com/oppia/oppia>. I
work in Robotics lab and took a course on Statistical Methods in AI, the
last semester. So, I have an understanding of major Machine learning
algorithms and how content-based filtering and collaborative filtering are
used in recommender systems.

I am reading a survey paper on Collaborative Filtering Algorithms as we
want to implement Matrix Factorization based CF algorithms.

Since I am very late to start, it would be great if I can get some advice
on how to move forward.

Should I get familiar with codebase first or should I start with reading
various applicable methods? And any other specific advice as I move in to
research more on the topic.

Thanks,
Yogesh