[mlpack] Evolution strategies along with policy gradients

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 6 15:28:49 EST 2018

Hello Chirag,

> I could implement a basic evolution strategies module within the
> src/mlpack/methods/reinforcement_learning module or as a separate module itself,
> and test it on sample functions for a start ( reference :
> https://gist.github.com/karpathy/77fbb6a8dac5395f1b73e7a89300318d)

It might make sense to implement the Natural Evolution Strategie as an
optimizer, see mlpack.org/docs/mlpack-git/doxygen/optimizertutorial.html and
arxiv.org/abs/1711.06581 for more information. Let me know what you think.

> All in all, I feel I can form a proper timeline to try to fit this in the
> timeframe of the summer.

Agreed, really like the idea to combine RL with Neuroevolution, also
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-Application-Guide
might be helpful.

Let me know if I should clarify anything.