[mlpack] Query regarding constrained and unconstrained methods

Adeel Ahmad adeelahmad14 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 20 05:19:49 EST 2018

Hello Marcus,

I have done some research on C++ lambda functions. Did you mean to use these instead of the standard accessors and mutators? From what I have found, lambda functions are used for writing an anonymous inline functor right into the spot where it is called, like in this example below (source<https://stackoverflow.com/a/7627218>):

std::for_each(v.begin(), v.end(), [](int) { /* do something here */ });

Although they can be used to modify the parameters (passed in a capture list) by using the mutable keyword, I don't know what advantage this would have over the standard accessors and mutators. If you had a different use in mind, please let me know.

Yes, a policy based design seems like a much better option for implementing the optimizer. We could create a base class named PSO and use its methods in another class, for instance, LBPSO; using the former class' object. This would be more intuitive if other variants of PSO are to be implemented in the future.

I have read some sections from the Velocity Adaptation in Particle Swarm Optimization paper. The PSO variant presented there is somewhat similar to PSO with inertia weight in Looking Inside Particle Swarm Optimization in Constrained Search Spaces paper. The algorithm presented in section 4 for PSO with Velocity Adaptation uses Velocity Length l for scaling the particle velocity based on its current behavior. There are various initialization methods for setting the initial value of velocity length, such as l = r, l = r / sqrt(n). If I opt to implement this PSO variant in my GSoC application, would I leave it to the user for specifying the value of l, or set it by default following a heuristic, or maybe a combination of both?

Thank you,
Adeel