[mlpack] Mentoring

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Jan 17 08:45:57 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 01:13:43AM +0000, Wasiq Mukhtar wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been lurking in ml pack for almost 3 years now. I was wondering
> if I could mentor this summer and if there are any prerequisites?

Hi Wasiq,

If someone has very in-depth knowledge of the details required to
successfully help a student, then I think it would be completely
reasonable for them to co-mentor a project (assuming there is another
co-mentor with time to help).  However I do think that if someone wants
to mentor a project fully, they should have made some reasonably large
contributions to mlpack so that it's clear that they know the
conventions, design, and style used for mlpack and can successfully help
a student with it.

Ryan Curtin    | "Rock-and-rollers don't bathe."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Sneed