[mlpack] Reinforcement Learning GSOC

Sahith D sahithdn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 17:01:21 EST 2018

Hi Marcus,
Sorry for not updating you earlier as I had some exams that I needed to
finish first.
I've been working on the policy gradient over in this repository which you
can see over here https://github.com/SND96/mlpack-rl
I also had some ideas on what this project could be about.

1. We could implement all the fundamental RL algorithms like those over
here https://github.com/dennybritz/reinforcement-learning . This repository
contains nearly all the algorithms that are useful for RL according to
David Silver's RL course. They're all currently in python so it could just
be a matter of porting them over to use mlpack.
2. We could implement fewer algorithms but work more on solving the OpenAI
gym environments using them. This would require tighter integration of the
gym wrapper that you have already written. If enough environments can be
solved then this could become a viable C++ library for comparing RL
algorithms in the future.

Right now I'm working on the solving one of the environments in gym using a
Deep Q-Learning approach similar to what is already there in the mlpack
library from last year's gsoc. Its taking a bit longer than I hoped as I'm
still familiarizing myself with some of the server calls being made and how
to properly get information about the environements. Would appreciate your
thoughts on the ideas that I have and anything else that you had in mind.

Thanks!
Sahith