[mlpack] mlpack accepted to Google Summer of Code 2018!

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Tue Feb 13 08:49:39 EST 2018

Hello there everyone,

Yesterday Google announced that mlpack has been accepted as a mentoring
organization to Google Summer of Code 2018!  I'm happy to hear this
news; this will be our fifth year participating in the program (2013,
2014, 2016, 2017, and now 2018).

This typically means that there will be a lot of mailing list and Github
activity over the next few months, and through the summer, and a lot of
improvements and additions will be merged into the codebase.  In
previous years it has been really exciting to watch how much the library
improves during this part of the year.  So, welcome to the community to
anyone who is interested in GSoC (or open source in general)!

But I should point out that, as always, there is likely to be a lot more
activity and questions than the mlpack mentors and maintainers can
handle.  So, if you are interested in getting involved, please keep in
mind that writing code is not the only route to participation; answering
questions and helping others are also important things that need to be
done.

I am looking forward to the summer and I hope you are too!  I hope that
we have to mail out a lot of mlpack stickers in the next few months. :)

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "In honor of the last American hero, to whom speed
ryan at ratml.org | means freedom of the soul."  - Super Soul