[mlpack] Alternatives to neighborhood-based collaborative filtering

Ankush Mishra ankushmishra9 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 02:36:25 EDT 2017

Hey mlpack,

I'm Ankush Mishra, currently a 4th year, in India, I was interested in
implementing Alternatives to neighborhood-based collaborative filtering
[1]. I have some limited experience with kNN's and Recommender Systems.
Currently I'm working on Machine Learning and Computer Vision related
problems. I was also a part of GSoC 2016, but under Apache Openmeetings[2]

I would have liked to implement the "Fast k-centers Algorithm"[3], but I
see that Ankit has already got an implementation up. So, I'll be happy
to be able to work on this.

Could someone help me start out contributing to this project? It's the
first time for me, I have gone through the Mlpack, getting involved page.

Also, regarding this, is it just implementing the algorithm, based on
the paper mentioned[4], or, as mentioned in [1], I will be implementing
multiple of them, "weighted nearest neighbors and regression techniques"
? Is there a list of these to be more specific, or should I build that
up as well?

Sincerely

Ankush Mishra

[1]