[mlpack] Regarding long term project

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Jan 25 15:12:18 EST 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 01:32:01AM +0530, Nilay Pochhi wrote:
> Greetings!
> I am new to MLPack and to open-source development in general. The
> project which enticed was to implement various tree types (given here:
> https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas#implement-tree-types).
> I'll be trying to implement segment trees as I have hands on
> experience working with them. Which methods do I need to implement?

Hi Nilay,

There is a very large amount of discussion about this project from
previous years, as it is a recurring project.  Here is an example:

http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/002533.html

Since mlpack has not yet applied or been accepted as an organization for
GSoC 2017 yet, the page is in need of updating and I have not yet had a
chance to get around to it.  So unfortunately you'll have to spelunk for
further documentation on how the tree types project can work.

A good first step is to become very familiar with mlpack's abstractions
for trees and their implementation.  You can look at the TreeType API
tutorial on the Doxygen documentation or look at the code; that might be
a good place to start.

Ryan Curtin    | "Open the pig!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Frank Moses