[mlpack] Hello Everyone

Vivek Pal vivekpal.dtu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:53:20 EST 2017

> Welcome to the community.

Thanks Ryan.

> Being a machine learning expert is certainly
> helpful for a GSoC student but what's sometimes more important is a good
> background in C++ and software development along with a willingness to
> learn.

Yes, I completely agree with you.

> I'm still willing to mentor the CF idea.  If you search the mailing list
> archives, I seem to remember there being a lot of discussion about the
> idea last year, and maybe you can find some insights there.

It's great that CF idea is still open. I will certainly look into the list
archives to
gather some useful information regarding the project. If I'm not wrong this
idea
was not one of the selected project last year, so I think it'd be worth
finding out
what was lacking. May be you want to add some input on that?

>  In the end, anything that helps the CF code get easier to use or more
functional
> so that users can easily build a recommendation system would be a great
project.

Will the focus be on making existing CF code more functional this year as
compared
to last year's focus on implementing alternatives to k-NN based CF?

> I also remember a lot of discussion about the deep learning modules
> project; I'm sure you can find a lot about that one in the archives too.

Yes, I'll look through the list to gain some insights. I also noticed that
there's one open
PR (#831) with major changes for ANN module lined up. Since, it looks like
it will be
merged soon can you comment on this year's focus for the deep learning
modules
idea after this PR is finally merged or will it remain same as last year's
of implementing
RBM, DBN etc.?

Thanks,

Vivek