[mlpack] mlpack Contribution

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Apr 24 11:32:00 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 07:21:34PM +0530, Ankit Aggarwal wrote:
> Hi Ryan
>
> I was able to found the following thread talking about "Fast K-Centre
> Algorithm"
>
> "Yes, this project would be to design an algorithm, and then spend the
> summer implementing it. Unfortunately, Google funds students for
> implementation and not for research,"
> I got to know through the links that dual-tree algorithm is implemented in
> src/mlpack/methods. So I would be going through out the src package defines
> above.
>
> Can you please share what should be the timeline for this project?

Hi Ankit,

I am not sure what the timeline should be since I don't know what
obligations you have or how fast you might want to work on this.  So
that part is up to you.

Please be aware though that I don't expect to have much time this summer
to try to help, so if you are going to work on the k-centers idea, you
will have to be pretty self-sufficient, although I will help where I
can.  I would strongly suggest reading all of the papers linked to in
the other mailing list threads, since like you pointed out this is a
research project involving the design of an original algorithm.

Ryan Curtin    | "So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular
ryan at ratml.org | chickens?" - Henry Spencer