[mlpack] An Introduction

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Thu Mar 24 09:48:08 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:19:39AM +0530, Amitrajit Sarkar wrote:
> Dear Marcus,
>
> unfortunately, I realize that my other commitments during the summer will
> not allow me to participate in Googles Summer of Code. Yet, I still wish to
> contribute to the development of mlpack, especially in the projects that I
> had mentioned (Neuro Evolution, Deep Learning, Le Net). How would you
> suggest I coordinate with those who will be, or are already, working on the
> projects? Can I still hope for guidance from the mentors? I hope to make
> long term contributions, and become a part of the mlpack family. I believe
> that I can help in not insignificant ways.

Hi Amitrajit,

Of course you can always contribute! :)

We'll have to ensure that we aren't duplicating the work a student
proposed, but I think that each of the projects are sufficiently complex
that there will always be more to do.  We can probably have a clearer
answer on how exactly this can work when the list of accepted projects
is announced.

I know that I have been less available than I would like during this
application period, but I think that a few months from now things will
have quieted down a bit and I will have more time to help out where I
can (of course, my help may be limited because I am not intricately
familiar with the internals of the ANN code, but I can still try!).

Sorry to hear that you will be unable to do GSoC this year, but
hopefully we will still hear from you. :)

Ryan Curtin    | "Hey, tell me the truth... are we still in the
ryan at ratml.org | game?" - The Chinese Waiter