[mlpack] Google Summer of Code project proposal

Leinoff, Alexander alexander-leinoff at uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 22 18:49:05 EDT 2016

Hi!
If you have time, I’d like to get your feedback on a project idea and proposal for the google summer of code. My name is Alexander Leinoff ( I made a couple of commits yesterday ), and I’m in my final year as an undergraduate studying Computer Engineering at The University of Iowa. I’d like to submit a project proposal that’s a little off of the books, although I think it will end up covering the “More Diverse Build Slaves” and possibly the “Profiling for further optimization” Summer of Code Ideas. My main goal will be to set up a robust and constant cross-platform testing framework, with an online dashboard presentation using cmake, ctest, and cdash, such as the one used by ITK: https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=Insight . I’d also like to implement a SuperBuild environment with cmake to automatically build project dependencies. I think your project could really use a more understandable and easy to use (and visualize) testing process, and I’d like to help you implement it! Let me know if this is something I should be pursuing for the Summer of Code project, or if I should be focusing more on the listed ideas as they are stated. I’ve shared a draft of my proposal via the Google Summer of Code submission page, it still needs some work, but please check it out and let me know what you think. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Alex