[mlpack] Parallel Stochastic Potimazation Methods

pvachill at ece.auth.gr pvachill at ece.auth.gr
Wed Mar 16 14:50:06 EDT 2016

Hello!

I have implemented a naive parallel edition of the serial sgd
implementation that already exists in mlpack build, using pthreads. My
goal is to make HOGWILD! algorithm. I send my code and  an example
using the test_function. Before i continue implementing HOGWILD!
algorithm i would like you to mention if i am in the correct way.I
would also appreciate if someone could send me a sparse dataset as
mentioned at this paper:
http://papers.nips.cc/paper/4390-hogwild-a-lock-free-approach-to-parallelizing-stochastic-gradient-descent.pdf.

 From what i have already understand, i could make some suggestions
which are still a bit of fuzzy in my mind:
1)Create stepSize an abstract class that would have different
implementations for different approaches
2)Change Optimize member function to template function for different
approaches
3)Create functions that don't use datasets as an abstract class and a
second abstract class for those who use datasets.
4)Also, change sgd to abstract sgd by the same reasoning.

Thanks,

Axilleas