[mlpack] GSoC, 16 -implementation of the Bayesian algorithm and decision Tree

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 14 08:44:57 EDT 2016

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 01:38:00AM +0530, Sushmita singh wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am Sushmita Singh, studying in pre-final year of Mathematics and
> Computing at Indian Institute of Technology (BHU)-Varanasi, India. Mlpack
> is a organization of my interest and I am really looking forward to
> contributing to  Mlpack through or beyond GSoC'16. I feel that Mlpack will
> provide the advantage to  c++ user for using machine learning so they don't
> have diverted to some other language.
>
> *Relevant Experience:*
> I  have a four-year practice of coding in c, c++, java. I have done
> projects of ECC (Elliptic Curve Cryptography) at DRDO(Defence Research and
> development Organization)  Delhi which is  coded in c++ that has  given me
> experience. I am working on my thesis  which is on machine learning so I m
> process of learning  about new algorithm.
>

> I have built the library in my system  and gone through some of the methods
> provided by mlpack. I m biased towards :
> *1.conditional decision trees*
> *2.Bayesian* *algorithms*.
> I want to work on  *Gaussian naive bayers, multinomial naive bayers and
> conditional decision trees*.
>  Besides going through methods of density elimination trees, naive bayers,
> Gaussian Mixture and hidden Markov model, what else should I go through?
> please guide me further.

Hi Sushmita,

Have you taken a look at these pages?

http://www.mlpack.org/involved.html
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-Application-Guide
http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code/

Between that and reading the relevant literature for the methods you are
interested in, you should be able to prepare a good proposal.

Be sure to focus on the API of the algorithms you want to work on in
your proposal, so that they match the API of the rest of mlpack.  Maybe
this document would also be helpful:

https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/DesignGuidelines

Ryan Curtin    | "The enemy cannot press a button... if you have
ryan at ratml.org | disabled his hand." - Sgt. Zim