[mlpack] An Introduction

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 13 08:52:03 EDT 2016

Hello Amitrajit,

> 1. Referring to the organization of mlpack, should the neuroevolution algorithms
> be implemented as an 'optimizer' within 'ann' 'methods' (supporting 'optimize',
> 'reset' and 'update')? Or should they be implemented as separate 'methods'?

The interface you are referring to is the old ann optimizer interface we
recently switch to the mlpack core optimizer interface. See
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/555 for more information. I don't think
that you could use the evolution optimizer to train other models. That said, I
think we should implement the neuroevolution algorithms as separate methods
using a structure that looks like the cf/amf framework.

> 2. Keeping track of the historical markers for NEAT suggests a linked list,
> connectionist ANN representation. Should this be implemented as a separate
> datastructure, or serve as the connectionist representation of the network
> itself? If a vectorized matrix representation is used, how will new nodes
> evolved between layers be maintained?

I think you are right, a connectionist representation is the superior solution
here. I guess we could also a matrix representation, and increase the matrix
size when evolving the network. I would prefer to serve the connectionist
representation of the network itself. The goal should be to reuse the network
model for the various evolution methods e.g. NEAT, HyperNEAT, etc. Take a look
at the http://www.mlpack.org/docs/mlpack-2.0.1/doxygen.php?doc=amftutorial.html
tutorial to get an impression about how we could reuse parts of the amf/cf
structure to model the evolution project.

> 3. What functions will the deep learning modules support? 'Train', 'predict',
> 'evaluate', 'gradient' and 'serialize'? Some deep learning networks use forms of
> unsupervised pretraining. How should these by incorporated into the mlpack API?

Exactly, once you use the mlpack core optimizer you model has to expose an
'Evaluate' and 'Gradient' function. Also, regarding the design guidelines each
machine learning algorithms that have a specific training step should provide a
'Train' and 'Predict' function. For more information take a look at:
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/DesignGuidelines

One way to incorporate pretraining unsupervised or supervised is to e.g. train a
Deep Belief Network (there isn't a DBN implementation right now, I'll just use
that as an example) extract the weights, using the 'Parameter()'' function, to
initialize the other model. Another way could be to provide a constructor that
takes a model, an pretrains the parameter. You could use the
'NetworkWeights(parameter, network)' function to propagate the pretrained
parameter through the network.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if I can clarify anything.