[mlpack] Contribution to mlpack - GSoC '16

Deep Jahan Grewal deepjahan.grewal at research.iiit.ac.in
Tue Mar 8 18:41:06 EST 2016

Hey,

I am Deep Jahan Grewal, currently pursuing B.Tech from International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad, India. I have some basic experience in Machine Learning (like successfully understood and implemented various algorithms like LDA, PCA, Kernal LDA & PCA, Bayesian Classifiers, some clustering techniques, some basic neural networks etc). I also have done a group project in which we compared different Speech Recognition algorithms including GMM, HMM, RNN and Vector Quantization. Also, I have good understanding of Linear Programming and convexity and duality associated with it. I am currently doing a course on it. I am interested in projects involving Semidefinite Programming i.e,

    1. LMNN with LRSDP implementation
    2. Fixes to MVU low-rank semidefinite programs

I have already gone through these materials so that I have some basic understanding of semidefinite programming:

    1. Introduction to Semidefinite Programming (SDP) by Robert M. Freund
    2. Fast Low-Rank Semidefinite Programming for Embedding and Clustering

Just to clarify, during the application period, I need to go through the literature and then get familiar with MVU implementation or LRSDP API of mlpack and if possible, get started with the implementation. What should be the main focus right now?

It would be very helpful if someone would guide me through the specified projects.

Thanks

Deep Jahan Grewal
IIIT Hyderabad