[mlpack] GSoC 2016 - Introductory Email

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Tue Mar 8 09:47:31 EST 2016

Oe Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 04:10:51AM +0530, Mehul Smriti Raje wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am Mehul Smriti Raje, a 4th Year (Senior) Bachelor of Technology,
> Computer Science student. I am doing my undergraduate studies from Manipal
> Institute of Technology, Manipal, India. I am interested in participating
> in GSoC 2016 with your organisation. My are of interests include Neural
> Networks and Language Processors. I have collaborated with my college mates
> over projects on these topics in the past. Please refer to my resume
> <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1QoXi41ce-IeW0wZm5QOXhuc0E> for more
> details about my prior work experience and personal projects.
>
> I have worked on some personal open source projects, most notably this one
> <https://engineering-projects.firebaseapp.com/>. I am now looking towards
> contributing more actively in the Open Source Community.
>
> I went through the project listing on your GSoC Ideas Page. I am extremely
> interested in taking up the 'Neuroevolution Algorithms' project.
>
> I took up Neural Networks in my 7th Semester in college (currently, I'm in
> my 8th semester). I found the subject very interesting and scored an A+ in
> it as well. I want to work on a research-based project on this topic as I
> want to learn more about this field. (I hope to pursue a Masters in it, in
> future.) This project will give me the opportunity to work on expanding my
> knowledge in a mentored environment.
>
> I would love to be a part of your Open Source initiative. Could you please
> guide me with the future steps? How can I be a GSoC participant and write a
> great proposal for this project?

Hi Mehul,

Good to meet you.  There's some more information about the
neuroevolution algorithms project that Marcus wrote in another mailing
list post:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000824.html

That has some good background papers that you could read to bring
yourself up to speed on the project.

More information for how to get started with mlpack can be found here:

http://www.mlpack.org/involved.html
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code-Application-Guide
http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code/

I hope these links are helpful.  Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "I am the luckiest man alive!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - General Borzov