[mlpack] [GSOC '16] : Student interested in Low rank/sparse optimization using Frank-Wolfe

Kwon, Jin Kyoung jkwon47 at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 8 00:56:02 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

My name is Jin Kyoung Kwon and I am a 3rd year Computer Science major at Georgia Institute of Technology, interested in contributing to this project through GSOC. I am currently enrolled in Dr. Isbell's Machine Learning course at GT and have enjoyed the course so much so that I am aspiring to spend my summer learning more about ML and doing related work. I am specifically interested in the low rank/sparse optimization using Frank-Wolfe, as I am interested in optimization problems as a CS major concentrating in modeling/simulation. I am also familiar with non-convex optimization problems through learning about randomized optimization topics as well as a bit of the math through my coursework in differential equations and linear algebra. I am willing to learn more advanced math topics as well as gain skills in C++ as I believe the project will be a good fit for me.

I have built the mlpack library on my machine, learned how the library works through running simple execs, and read Dr. Martin Jaggi's paper about the topic. I wanted to gain a better sense of how the implementation of the framework would fit into the existing one. I saw that we already have methods for core optimizers (core/optimizers) as well as problems that variants of Frank-Wolfe algorithms can be applied to, such as Lasso (methods/lasso), matrix completion (methods/matrix_completion), and classic learning tasks (boosting, svm, etc). What I think is that our framework would go under core/optimizers, but I am not sure. I wanted to ask, how are you envisioning the Frank-Wolfe algorithms to fit in with the current architecture?

I am incredibly excited to continue learning about the library, and I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
Jin Kyoung (Jenna) Kwon

--
Jenna Kwon
B.S. Computer Science '17| Georgia Institute of Technology