[mlpack] An Introduction

Amitrajit Sarkar aaiijmrtt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 13:40:41 EST 2016

Hello Marcus,

I agree: each of these projects requires a lot of background study.
However, my undergrad research work has been focused on neural networks and
deep learning for over a year now. Hence I am already familiar with the
concepts appearing on the Ideas page, as well as those previously mentioned
in the mailing list, having implemented several myself. I shall certainly
look through the new references I find on the reading lists before filling
out my application. If there are any resources in particular that you would
like me to take note of, do mention them.

I built mlpack from source, tried the tutorials, and started deciphering
the source code. I understand that neural networks in mlpack use armadillo
matrices for efficiency, a vectorized approach. I was wondering whether a
connectionist approach would be better with regard to implementing the
Neuroevolution algorithms when dealing with Augmenting Topologies. I would
like your views on the matter.

Also, would you like to see a basic implementation of CNE, using the
existing mlpack neural networks, as a warm-up task? I really look forward
to contributing to mlpack.

Regards,
Amitrajit.