[mlpack] [GSOC-2016] Prospective Applicant interested in working in mlpack

Sritanu Chakraborty sritanu25 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 05:02:22 EST 2016

Let me take this opportunity to introduce myself.

*Brief Introduction:*
I am Sritanu Chakraborty from India. I am pursuing my Masters in Advanced
Combinatorics(2015-2017) at Moscow Institute of Physics and
Technology,Moscow,Russia.

Prior coming to Moscow,I had three years of software engineering experience
in India across various roles as a developer,quality assurance analyst and
support engineer both in startups(Worked in a remote position too) and
corporate sectors.

*Hobbies:*
My hobbies are programming and solving math problems.My academic research
interests are primarily graph theory,algorithms and data structures.

*Proficiency:*
1.Programming languages : C++,Python,Java,Javascript(in order of
proficiency)
2.Math and Computer Science Interests : Combinatorics,Graph
Theory,Theoretical Computer Science and Machine Learning.
3.In-depth and strong knowledge of discrete-mathematics,calculus,linear
algebra,combinatorics,probability and data structures and algorithms.

*Motivation:*
Though I don't have any background in machine learning,I am extremely keen
to know the field of machine learning in depth and I hope my
math,algorithms and programming background will help a lot.The projects of
mlpack for GSOC 2016 provides for me the perfect opportunity to learn about
machine learning throughout the summers while coding at the same time.So,in
my opinion,this is the perfect project for me to combine both my hobbies
and learning.

*Choice of Projects(*in order of preference*):*
Well,to be very honest I am spoilt for choice(s).All of the project
mentioned are extremely interesting.However,though I have indepth knowledge
about data structures,algorithms and programming ,I don't have extensive
background in machine learning and neural networks.The following three
projects I have chosen in order of preference:
1.Implement Tree Types
2.Fast k-centers Algorithm and Implementation.
3.Approximate Nearest Neighbor Search

At the time of the project I will be in Kolkata,India(End of May-August).
Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Sritanu Chakraborty
+79258649856