[mlpack] Interested in contributing to mlpack through GSoC 2016

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Feb 24 14:59:38 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:54:25AM +0530, Abhinaba Sarkar wrote:
> ​Hi,
>
> I am Abhinaba Sarkar, pursuing Master of Technology in Computer Science
> (M.Tech) from International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
> (IIIT-Hyd). I am comfortable in C++ and am interested in machine learning
> algorithms specially deep learning algorithms. I have some experience of
> working with machine learning algorithms (as part of projects) and I have
> also worked with deep learning framework (Torch7) as part of a project in
> the last semester.
>
> I would like to contribute to the development of mlpack through the GSoC
> programme. I have built mlpack from source in my computer and I have also
> started looking at the tutorials. I have also looked at the ideas floated
> for the current programme and I am interested in a few of them, especially,
> 'building essential deep learning modules'.
>
> I would be glad if anyone here guided to me where and how to get started
> with development and pointed me to some easy bugs that can be helpful for
> my understanding the code better.

Hi there Abhinaba,

We don't yet know if we will be a part of GSoC 2016; we will find out at
the end of February.

Marcus answered some questions about the deep learning modules project
in a previous email thread:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-February/000738.html

You could find some easy tickets by filtering for the 'easy' tag on
Github, or maybe some other tickets might be interesting too.

https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22D%3A+easy%22

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Ryan Curtin    | "So, it's just you 57 punks against KUNG FU JOE?"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Kung Fu Joe