[mlpack] Possible integration with MADlib?

Babak Alipour babak.alipour at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:25:24 EST 2016

Greetings everyone,

I'm a beginner to MLpack and was trying to use it for some large scale data
processing.

While  mlpack is a great library and I like the modular standalone
programs, it lacks support for SQL databases. I also came across another
great analytical library, MADlib (http://madlib.incubator.apache.org/ ,
code available on GitHub: https://github.com/apache/incubator-madlib ).
While MADlib works beautifully on PostgreSQL, it lacks many popular machine
learning algorithms, such as multilayer perceptrons and hidden markov
models, both of which mlpack provides.

I was wondering if anyone has looked at possible integration of the two.
The model for MADlib is complex and development of new algorithms for it
are difficult (steep learning curve). But since the architecture is
layered, I think it's possible to have the python drivers not only call
RBDMS built-in functions and madlib-developed cpp code; but also call other
libraries. Integration of a high performance library such as mlpack, could
be very useful for people trying to do analytics on data residing in SQL
databases.

Best regards,
*Babak Alipour ,*
*University of Florida*