[mlpack] Essential Deep Learning Modules project

Anuraj Kanodia akanuraj200 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 06:15:19 EST 2016

Hi Marcus,

This is a followup to
http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2016-November/002795.html (i am
sorry for being so late).

I went through your writeup from last year that Ryan mentioned. I agree
with you that "a good theoretical understanding of what these models do and
why they work is a necessity to be able to implement these well."

I am currently doing a neural network course on coursera (
https://www.coursera.org/learn/neural-networks). My target is to finish
that course by the second week of January. After that i will go through the
papers that you mentioned in your writeup.
I am yet to check out the current neural network code implemented in
mlpack. I noticed you opened a big PR for revamping ANN modules yesterday!
I will check them out soon.

I will let you know if i need any help with any concept.

*****sidenote*****
I noticed that there has been a lot of interest regarding GSoC 2017 on IRC
lately. If mlpack gets selected as a participating organization, then i
would definitely be interested in continuing the "Essential Deep Learning
Modules" project as part of GSoC. A GSoC project with a popular library
will help me gain valuable experience from the community.

Thank you.