[mlpack] Fast k-centers Algorithm & Implementation

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 2 10:04:07 EST 2015

On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 06:37:35PM +0530, Abhinav Agarwalla wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am Abhinav Agarwalla, a sophomore majoring in Mathematics and Computing
> from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. I am really interested in
> doing the project entitled 'Fast k-centers Algorithm & Implementation'
> duing GSoC 2015.
>
> I went through a previous mail regarding few sources from where to start
> reading about dual-trees. I have read a few of them involving euclidean
> minimum spanning trees, the cover trees one's are still left. I have also
> started looking into the mlpack implementation of the same, and was hoping
> that there would be something that I could do, like a patch, example or a
> documentation, to get a better understanding of the code. Is there
> something I can do, in this regard ?

Hi Abhinav,

For the k-centers project, the most important thing is to have an
in-depth understanding of dual-tree algorithms and how they work, in
order that you may help develop and implement a new one.

You may be able to find some relatively simple issues to fix in the
Github issues list:

https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/

The issues are tagged with a difficulty, which should be helpful.

Ryan Curtin    | "Lady, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the store."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Ash in Housewares